In 1895, entrepreneur Louis S. Cass and his brothers opened a two-mile long narrow gauge horsecar line in Waterloo, Iowa. The line grew into the Waterloo, Cedar Falls and Northern Railway, or the "Cedar Valley Road", with right- of-way extending from Cedar Falls north to Waverly. A busy freight and passenger service, the Cedar Valley was unusual in its day for its reliance upon electricity for motive power.
Five 60-ton Westinghouse locomotives hauled industrial products at high speed, while box motors and interurban trolley cars sped passengers to and fro. The success of the operation inspired Westinghouse to create The Story of the Cedar Valley Road -- and demonstrate how electricity could trump steam power.
This reprint was made using an original copy of this rare book. It has been slightly reformatted for readability, but care has been taken to preserve the text.