Tanks, 76-MM Gun M41 and M41A1 Walker Bulldog
6x9", 190 pages
The M41 Walker Bulldog was a U.S. light tank developed to replace the M24 Chaffee. While the M24 Chaffee was a successful design, its main gun was not effective enough against well armored opposition. Although the primary mission of a light tank was scouting, the U.S. Army wanted one with more powerful armament. The development of the new tank, T37, began in 1947. The vehicle was designed to be air-transportable, and the desired anti-tank capabilities were provided by installing a long 76-mm gun with an advanced rangefinder. In 1949, with the adoption of a less ambitious rangefinder, the project's designation was changed to T41. Production started in 1951 at Cadillac's Cleveland Tank Plant, and by 1953 the tank replaced the M24 in the United States Army.
Initially the M41 was nicknamed "Little Bulldog", then renamed "Walker Bulldog" after General Walton Walker, who was killed in a jeep accident in Korea in 1950. The Walker Bulldog saw limited combat with the U.S. Army during the Korean War, but for the most part, the conflict served as a testing ground to work out the tank's rangefinder. In 1954, the M41A1 variant was produced with a hydraulic turret traverse instead of an electrical one. The more compact system allowed for increased ammunition.
Created in 1956, this field manual reveals a great deal about the M41 and M41A1’s design and capabilities. Intended as a manual for those charged with operation and maintenance, it details the sighting equipment, crew formations, firing duties and more. Originally labeled restricted, this manual was declassified long ago and is here reprinted in book form. Care has been taken to preserve the integrity of the text.
190 pages, 6x9" format, softbound, black and white interior and full color covers.