PT-13D / N2S-5 Stearman Pilot Manual
Stearman's Kaydet biplane first flew in 1934, and in 1935 the U.S. Navy acquired the aircraft for use as trainers. Within a year the U.S. Army Air Corps followed suit, buying 26 of the airplanes from Boeing (which had acquired Stearman in 1934). Designated the "Model 75", the Army dubbed the two-seat plane the PT-13 and the Navy the NS. With war looming on the horizon, the need for
trainers became pronounced; orders in 1940 topped 3500 airframes. By conflict's end in 1945, over 10,000 were built.
The Kaydets were simple, rugged aircraft equipped with a radial engine, fabric-covered wooden wings, and single-leg landing gear. The fuselage, which was also fabric-covered, was built of steel. Most models were equipped with either the Lycoming R-680 (PT-13) or Continental R-670 (PT-17) engine, producing a top speed of 124 mph with a 505-mile range. A 255-hp model received the designation PT-18. The Kaydet continued to fly in the post-WWII era as a trainer and cropduster. Approximately 1,000 "Stearmans" are still in service in the present day. Originally created during WWII by the U.S. Navy and Army Air Forces, this pilot manual was standard issue to all cadets. It is reproduced here in its entirety.
38 pages, softbound, black and white interior, full color covers.